<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.shendove.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Shen Dove Style: Recent Reads

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Recent Reads

Recent Reads_Summer
Since the summer is officially over, I thought it would be a good time to mention books
I read during the season.

Kinky Gazpacho - I love memoirs that revolve around travel, so Kinky Gazpacho sounded like a compelling read right up my alley. The author, Lori who first travels abroad as a teen decides that her destiny would be found in Spain.  Her passion for the country led her to varied experiences and including meeting and marrying her husband.  Lori talks about her childhood in the mid-west where she was often the only African American in social and academic situations.  It's a lovely memoir about self-discovery in an interesting setting.

The Law of Divine Compensation - Return to Love is one of my favorite books, so I decided to check out Marianne Williamson's latest book.  While there was great information and inspiration in this book, Return to Love remains my favorite, but if you're all about being prosperous for the remainder of 2013, check out Divine Compensation.

Better than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!This book is a great primer about loving, maintaining, styling and transitioning to natural hair.  The author, Nikki Walton (aka Curly Nikki) has a popular natural hair blog that I've read for the past few years.  Though I've never had a relaxer or other chemical in my hair (not even hair dye...), I am still learning how to best manage my hair, so I decided to read Better than Good Hair.  It's a great read, especially if you aren't familiar with Nikki's blog or if you you are just starting your natural hair journey.  You can learn the lingo, basics and get inspiration when you may be tempted to revert to chemicals.  Note: I think how you wear your hair is a very personal choice and I never disparage ladies for choosing not to wear natural hair. Rock your hair natural, permed or dyed proudly.

Maya's Notebook - This book is the story a young woman who flees very real dangers in her past to and goes to her grandmother's homeland: Chile.  So a very modern young adult ends up in a small village where she learns life lessons and grapples with coming to terms with her past.  Though to me the story seems a tad far-fetched, it was a compelling read.  I became invested in the outcome of the protagonist in the story and began to root for her. 

MWF Seeking BFF - This book is a memoir about a twenty-something year-old, recently married woman who relocated.  Rachel moved with her new husband to Chicago and away from her friends and social network on the East coast.  She embarked on a 52 week challenge to find a new, local BFF.  I don't recommend anyone doing a challenge like the author unless they have lots of free time on their hands, but the book is a good reminder for twenty-somethings (or anyone who has moved for career, spouse or family) to make time for friendships even in the midst of life's  changes and responsibilities.


Stay tuned for my fall reading list.  Did you read any good books over the summer?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Keryn said...

I've been wanting to read Maya's Notebook, but it's not available for kindle. Maybe I'll get a real book! Isabel Allende's other books are great, if you haven't read them.


I'm a relatively new reader of your blog. Love it!

 
At September 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM , Anonymous Nnenna said...

I read MWF seeking BFF and I totally agree with you- definitely interesting to read about but not something I would try to do myself!

 
At September 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM , Anonymous ShenDove said...

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out more of Allende's books in the future.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home