<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.shendove.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Shen Dove Style: Favorite Books of 2011

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Favorite Books of 2011

favorite books of 2011


The end of the year is a good time to reflect on books I enjoyed reading during the year.

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan: I actually read this book earlier this month, but it is a definite favorite.  In Defense of Food made me want to actually change the way I eat instead of just thinking about it as I had been doing.  Since reading In Defense of Food, I've started reading food labels more carefully and now wonder about things like if I should add more Omega 3 fatty acids to my diet...

The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber: If you love memoirs and beautifully described food, you will enjoy this book.  I really enjoyed this book and the themes of family, fathers and daughters and living in-between two cultures.

Normal Gets Your Nowhere by Kelly Cutrone: PR fashion veteran Kelly Cutrone's "tell it like it is" tone and off-beat advice is good for young professionals from all fields.  Cutrone encourages young people to throw out the concept of "normal" and go after your dreams.

Super Rich by Russell Simmons: I did a book review of Super Rich earlier this year and it was definitely a favorite of the year.

ReWork by: Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson: This innovative book discusses how breaking the rules can help you succeed in your entrepreneurial endeavors. 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: I somehow managed to let this classic get away from me until this year.  I didn't expect to like it but really enjoyed the poignant story Betty Smith told of life in Brooklyn in the early 1900s.

A Return to Love: Reflections from the Principles of a Course in Miracles by Marianne Williamson: I enjoyed the inspirational messages that Williamson emphasized in this book.  I was not familiar with the Course in Miracles until reading this book which broke down the key aspects of the course and discussed the author's personal experiences.

Generation Debt by Anya Kamenetz: This eye-opening book examines debt among young Americans, particularly student loan debt and the implications that this debt has on society and on the economy. 


What were your favorite reads of 2011?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 22, 2011 at 3:30 AM , Anonymous Thesmallfabric said...

What a thoughtful post. I read ATree Grows In Brooklyn many years ago. I think I need to read it again.

 
At December 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM , Anonymous Alex Elizabeth said...

I've been meaning to read that Kelly Cutrone book! These all sound like great reads. 

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home